The primary role of the altar servers is to assist the Priest in the celebration of Mass. In St. Emilie’s they are generally drawn from both male and female children of parishioners.
Duties can be varied, dependent upon the particular celebration. In the main however, their duties would include:
- lighting of the altar candles,
- carrying the processional cross and candles during the entrance procession and offertory,
- holding candles during the gospel reading
- assisting the Priest in dispensing the wine and water
- offering the bowl and finger towel, and
- ringing the bells during consecration.
The only requirements to becoming an Altar Server are that children must have received their First Holy Communion and be available to attend altar server training. Training is usually held every month in the church after Sunday 5pm mass for an hour. Dates when training is held are usually published in the Parish Bulletin.
On arrival at church when serving, the server would slip on an alb and sign their name on the Sign-In Sheet to show that they attended and served at that particular mass.
Enquiries to become a server are welcomed and can be made to to Asst Parish Priest (Fr. Giovanni Raffaele), or Altar Server Coordinators (Ervin Fernandes- 0476 345 805 or Liam Rego- 0449 772 122)