Perth Archdiocese Safeguarding Project
What is Safeguarding?
The Catholic Archdiocese of Perth, in accordance with the National Safeguarding Standards, is committed to providing a safe and secure environment for all its members, leaders, and especially its children and adults at risk.
The Diocese recognises the need to protect children, young people and vulnerable adults and aims to achieve this through the Safeguarding Project. The project is child focused and informed by a fundamental belief that children have the right to physical and psychological safety at all times.
Our parish of St Emilie De Vialar is proud to support the Catholic Archdiocese of Perth in its Safeguarding initiative. We are fortunate to have a largely faith-filled community and are surrounded by abundant examples of good, Christian living. Our Safeguarding program is a step in the direction and is committed to uphold, promote and maintain high standards of emotional physical and psychological safety, especially for our vulnerable parishioners.
St Emilie De Vialar Parish Safeguarding Officers
With the leadership and advocacy of our Parish Priest Fr. Jean Noel, we have trained Safeguarding officers appointed into the role who are committed to working confidentially with you to safeguard our Parish.
How is the Safeguarding Program relevant to me?
We appreciate your commitment to the safety of our children and vulnerable adults. Our measures are an extension of your commitment and will help ensure that your children and vulnerable adults continue to be in a ‘safe environment’ while they are at the Church premises or volunteering support for the parish.
You are an important link in the safety of our community, particularly if you belong to the following categories:
- You are a parent, grandparent or caregiver for children or vulnerable adults in our parish.
- You work with children and vulnerable adults in our parish.
- You, your child, or ward are engaged in volunteering support to the Parish under any of the Parish ministries below:
o Altar Service
o Proclaimers of the Word
If you do not fall into the above categories, you are equally vital to our program. Your vigilance and presence of mind might be just the turning point in someone’s life. Talk to our team to find out how you might support.
Additionally, we would love to hear from you on any ideas or suggestions you might have to help us elevate the Safeguarding profile of our parish.
What can I expect from the Safeguarding Program:
You will hear of our Safeguarding initiatives through the course of the year. Our Safeguarding Office, together with the Perth Catholic Archdiocese will host education programs and Safeguarding workshops targeted for caregivers, children, and youth of our Parish. These are practical and relevant measures and tools to ensure physical, emotional, and psychological safety of our children and vulnerable adults. We have also enhanced protective behaviour practices across Parish ministries.
Roles and Responsibilities of Parish Safeguarding Officers
The role of Parish Safeguarding Officer/s is key to ensuring that parishes meet the Archdiocese of Perth’s safeguarding responsibilities in all aspects of service that they undertake. Safeguarding Officers are required to:
- be a source of support, advice and information on all matters of safeguarding children and vulnerable adults in the parish
- be the first point of contact for children, vulnerable adults and other members of the parish community regarding suspicions of abuse and other safeguarding concerns
- respond to all safeguarding concerns in line with the Archdiocese’s Safeguarding Policy and Procedures manual, reporting these concerns to the Safeguarding Project Coordinator and/or other authorities, as needed
- keep the Parish Priest informed of all concerns, responses and activities relating to safeguarding children and other members of the parish community
- raise the profile of safeguarding in the parish, ensuring that it remains a high priority, and report on any issues or concerns with the implementation of the safeguarding policy and procedures
- assist with proactive measures within parishes to safeguard children
- ensure that all statutory requirements on the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults are met.
How might I report a matter to Safeguarding?
If you have any safety concerns about a person in the parish or about a child protection or child safety issue you can discuss it with one of our Parish Safeguarding Officers.
I’d love the chance to contribute further
We are grateful for your commitment to this collective cause and welcome your unique skills and talent to support this initiative. Please get in touch with our Safeguarding team to check how you might best volunteer.